Reflecting back on my younger years, especially those during middle and high school, there are countless things I wish I had known back then. There are so many thoughts I wish I could have believed and so, so many lessons I wish I would have learned earlier.
Here are 17 things I wish I could tell my younger self:
- Don’t follow the crowd. Be a leader. Be yourself.
- Being “cool” means being nice, and being “popular” means absolutely nothing once you enter “the real world.”
- When you feel like things won’t get better, they will. Hang in there.
- You will find love someday, and it will be worth the wait.
- Being smart isn’t a bad thing. In fact, it’s completely and entirely the opposite. Playing dumb is unattractive. Study and strive to do well in (and out of) school. It will pay off.
- Don’t pay mind to bullies. Their words do not hold any value. They’re going through shit, too, only they’ve decided to take theirs out on you.
- Embrace your weirdness. Never let it go.
- Take more pictures of yourself, your friends, your family, and experiences. You’ll enjoy the ability to look back on them later in life.
- Surround yourself with great people. Choose a solid group of friends who build you up rather than bring you down.
- Find and follow your passion. Stick to your hobbies and don’t be ashamed of them. You could make a shit ton of money someday by doing what you love.
- You are not fat. You are beautiful. Trust me, you’ll wish you could look like this in a few years.
- Everyone has flaws and imperfections. You are perfect just the way you are.
- Live it up while you don’t have many responsibilities or bills to pay. Go out, have fun, and make memories that will last a lifetime.
- Stop stressing. The little things that you worry about now are minuscule compared to worries ahead.
- You are enough.
- Appreciate your family. Spend time with them. Tell them you love them every single day. And keep in touch with your grandparents.
- Please don’t rush growing up. Adulthood is not as alluring as you imagine it to be. Believe it or not, you’re going to dream of being back in your shoes someday. Enjoy every single moment to the fullest.
What are the things you wish you could tell your younger self? Feel free to comment and share below. I’d love to hear them.
Thanks for reading! If you related to this post, please give it a share on Facebook or Twitter.